Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Romance on the Road

Today 3 deer crossed right in front of my car on a back-road in Lexington. They politely waited until I came to a complete stop, then crossed to the other side where 2 of their friends were waiting.

On Sunday I took Ashley out to dinner at The Old Salt in Hampton. It was a cold calm night, though the wind at the beach was stirring up the surf. We drove up to New Market where Antje Duvekot was playing The Stone Church Meetinghouse. She played a great set with a new love song, and an old one called Merry Go Round that Bank of America recently paid her $50,000 to use in a commercial. (Listen). Meanwhile, Ashley and I doodled in my sketchbook as we listened.

I love nights like these, and I've been in dire need of a touch of romance as of late. I'm hopeless - I know. I offer no excuses, and yet it's still not enough for me that I write all this down. Driving home, Ashley sang me the first line of a song she wrote. That line has had me on cloud nine for three days. Here's to February and more pleasant surprises!

Oh my lover, won't you write me a love song?
With passion of clover, won't you paint me fields o' green?

Inspire my heart with sweet breath from your lungs.

I'm not coming home 'til you speak love to me.

No comments: