Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Best Idea I Ever Had

Last night I formulated the best idea I have ever had. I say this with no exaggeration. Here is how it formulated in my brain...

"If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life it would be Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E." I was thinking about how Alyssa and I were talking about our favorite music after dinner with Kevin. She liked Minus the Bear.

And then this phrase formed in my mind because I've had work on my mind lately, "If I could only work for one company for the rest of my life it would be..." I had to stop and think. Because working for one company would be a huge thing. Would my life's work be in building computational tools to make experimental biologists' work easier and thus permitting breakthroughs in science? I like doing this type of work because it's the type of thing that helps people cure once-thought incurable diseases. However, it's a roundabout way of helping mankind.

Then I thought of A Christmas Carol (seriously), and how when Scrooge speaks of "good business" Marley tells him that "mankind was his business." This is a profound message, and whenever I see the play it gives me chills up my spine. So I thought again about my answer and finished the sentence: "If I could only work for one company for the rest of my life it would be mankind."

But what I like about advancing science is that it can help people on a greater scale. Yes, helping just one person is a great enough scale for that person, but in my head I wanted to be of more help. I thought, "I can't afford to help those less fortunate on a significant scale." Then I thought, "Some wealthy people can't help themselves despite their wealth." And so I came to the solution:

"Help the wealthy to help those less fortunate than themselves, and therefore, help themselves in doing so."

Of course there's a big difference between helping people in third world countries and just throwing money at them. This would have to be an up close and personal experience if anyone would come out better in the end. Nevertheless, all specifics aside, this is the best idea I have ever had. I write it here for two reasons. One, I don't want to forget it. And two, the best ideas should be given away so anyone can make them work.

3 comments:

Student Nurse said...

Sounds like your field is characterized by advances in human sciences, thereby, helping others. I think that making your life's work to help others is the most fullfilling and rewarding work of all. Good idea.

Admin said...

"And two, the best ideas should be given away so anyone can make them work." -- yes!

Unknown said...

Haha! Yup, learned that one by watching those videos on your blog. =D