Friday, January 4, 2008

I Was Never One for Fishing

Job hunting is HARD. When considering my options between a doctorate and working in industry, the easier of the two seemed obvious. I suppose I expected the fish to just jump in the boat as they have in the past.

The problem with being a UI designer swimming in the biotech ocean is that the only sea life that is interested in you is back in the old design pond. Fish are not jumping in my boat. Frogs, crabs, clams, boots, and sopping wet ham sandwiches are jumping in my boat. No fish. The kicker is what the frogs, crabs et al. are willing to pay. The fish, on the other hand, are only interested if you have a PhD and 5-10 years of experience.

Today I caught myself reconsidering the doctorate. It would mean taking ONE qualifying exam in algorithms, then smooth sailing with visualization research in bioinformatics. Oomph! The more I think about it, the more idealistic it sounds... except, of course, for the part where I don't have any money.

Short term goals:
  1. Apply for Associate Computational Biologist position at Broad Institute, MIT.
  2. Keep birthday-calling Tim and telling him how flabby and old he is.
  3. Beat Meng in another game of chess.
  4. Print photos.
  5. Pick up Check
  6. Mail thank-yous
  7. Birthday present for Tim.
  8. Build a lamp (purchase base, cut bamboo, wrap twine, etc)
  9. Radiator fluid for car
  10. Buy ski pass
  11. Fill out deferment form
Long term goals:
  1. Finish Cebula contract
  2. Finish Brontes contract
  3. Get a job.
  4. Save money.
  5. Paint more.
  6. Frame photography.
  7. Cancun in April
  8. Machu Picchu in May

3 comments:

Jacob Fenwick said...

The Broad Institute is pretty sweet, I'd like to work there. Most of my friends who work there look at me kind of funny when I say it looks like an exciting job, but I think they're just jaded.

Admin said...

"Radiator fluid for car" - don't let that one go!

Good way to save money: Don't go on 3 vacations a year. ^.^

Admin said...

here is another tip I learned about goal setting that helps your brain be pushed to completing it:

"When you write goals, don’t only list the goal but list what good will come of achieving that goal and what will happen if you don’t achieve that goal (Pleasure & Pain)"

from my blog..just add two other columns near the goal.

E.g.
Goal: Save money
Good(pleasure): I will sleep comfortably knowing I have an emergency fund if disaster were to strike.
Bad(pain): If my car breaks down I will have no form of transportation to get to work, I may incurr more over draft fees, etc.