Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Little Less Conversation, A Little More Action

The job hunt continues, but I'm glad to say everything else is moving along really well. Today I spoke with a rep. named Mike at Bank of America in Bedford, and finally got my finances squared away. I had $160 in overdraft fees removed, a new checking account set up, and got approved for a new credit card to link to my checking for overdraft protection. The guy reminded me of Jon a lot, and anyway, he completely made my day. Now it's just a matter of working a lot and saving every penny to pay for rent, my ski pass, and plane tickets to Cancun and Lima! Yikes!

Tonight I got talking to Nick who's also fishing for work. He has a second interview with MIT coming up, which is very cool. It would be amazing if we both ended up working in Cambridge together, but right now things are still completely open for me. It's anyone's guess where I'll end up. At any rate, we talked about how a lot of the jobs he's been applying for like to see experience in C++, and some of the jobs I've looked at like experience in Matlab. The timing couldn't be better to teach each other these things. Thursday we're meeting in Lowell to get started. I'll be teaching Nick C and C++, while he teaches me Matlab! I couldn't be more excited. I keep thinking about the order of the topics I'll teach and the problems I'll give him to solve... the same things I've learned time and again in so many languages...
  1. i/o
  2. variables and arrays
  3. conditionals
  4. loop structures
  5. file i/o
  6. basic math and math.h
  7. functions
  8. recursive functions
  9. pointers
  10. structs
  11. linked lists, stacks, trees, and graphs
  12. classes and object orientated programming
Time to dig up the old ANSI C book!

No comments: