Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hey! You've got to hide your love away.

They say it gets old, but I'm still enjoying the working life in the city. I feel completely immersed in this new culture. There are moments , especially in the quiet of the morning, when I suddenly feel like I'm in a foreign country. The train pulls in, and suddenly hundreds of people swarm out of the doors like a river of black coats and iPod headphones. I am a drop in that river, and yet, for an instant, I am a floating body.

This morning at Park Street there was a man playing Beatles songs on the acoustic guitar. Thousands of people, and nothing but the muted sound of conversations, footsteps and trains coming and going, and then this...
"Here I stand head in hand
Turn my face to the wall
If she's gone I can't go on
Feelin' two-foot small

Everywhere people stare
Each and every day
I can see them laugh at me
And I hear them say

Hey! You've got to hide your love away.
Hey! You've got to hide your love away."

It gave me chills. It was so emotional in contrast with the cold apathy of everything else I felt like I could cry. I love knowing this feeling. I stayed and listened to two songs before my train came.

No comments: