Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life is for the living

A friend of mine is almost finished with college and planning a 6 month trek from Western Europe through the Middle East and across the breadth of Asia.  Someone might say he's taking a big risk by not diving into the job market straight out of school.  I say that we need to grab every opportunity that allows us to truly enjoy life, and if such an opportunity does not present itself, then fucking make it happen.  The biggest risk is waiting a lifetime to truly live.

"First I was dying to finish high school and start college. And then I was dying to finish college and start working.
Then I was dying to marry and have children.
And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so I could
go back to work.  But then I was dying to retire.
And now, I am dying... And suddenly I realized I forgot to live."
- unknown

"We live as if we are never going to die.
We die as if we have never lived."
-unknown

... I wasn't able to dig up an author for either quote, but the message is what is important here.

No comments: